Thursday 17 March 2016

Evaluation 5 - How did you attract/address your audience?

Due to the hospital confidentiality I was requested not to put any of my hospital footage online. Therefore, you can find my evaluation 5 on the external CD sent to the examination board. I have presented it on iMovie. I have filmed myself talking about how I have attracted and addressed my audience. I have used video clips from my opening to help me answer the question. 

Thank you.


This is my script for my answer to the evaluation question. I thought it might be useful for you to have, as well as the video that I have made to answer the question.

I attracted/addressed my audience through my film opening in many different ways, such as: the idea of love, support, vulnerability, fashion and make up. Most people, sadly, can relate to loss however I wanted to attract my audience to show them that love and support is there still. Also to make the point that love can be homosexual as well as it is finally becoming ‘ok’ to be opening homosexual and many film companies are making homosexually based films.

To start with here is how my audience will be attracted by the aspect of love in my opening. The beginning frame is the two girls walking in a field holding hands. This shows the relationship at it’s best and how it is ok to be homosexual. The love between the two is shown through out the opening. This is shown through laughter and heart ache. As the girls are walking in the field they are laughing and showing that they are in love. The mood then changes to a more solemn tone as it shows the girls in a hospital room, however love is still a key aspect that attracts the audience. The use of the mid shot of the girls close together shows that they are together in this. When they get up to sit on the other side of the bed, love is shown as they both sit next to each other and hold hands. A younger audience may be able to relate to this as they may have boyfriends or girlfriends and they may be able to see themselves in the circumstance helping them empathise with the characters. The shot of the brunette gasping then holding the arm of her partner shows the pain that she is feeling and the sadness that this news has brought to her. This would be because he partners would mean the world to her because they are in love. My audience would be able to relate to this because, who does not want someone to love them! Further sorrow is seen when she is crying.

Support is also an attraction that my audience will want to see. My opening exemplifies lots of support thought the relationship of the couple and the support that the doctor will be providing. It helps my audience see that you are not alone. As suicide is high in our age it is important that my target audience, teenagers aged 15 and above, understand this. The close up of the hands just before the doctor begins to speak shows the support that they give one another. Furthermore, the mid shot of the blonde grabbing her partners hand shows the support that she will need through this tough time. My audience could be attracted by this as support through tough times is important as no one wants to go through something alone. Lastly, the shot of the brunette putting he hand on on her partner’s waist shows that she is not alone.

Vulnerability is a strong as also an attraction as it is scary going through tough times however, love always prevails and my movie opening promotes this. One frame which shows vulnerability is the shot that is over the shoulder of the girls. The girls are smaller and look vulnerable, partly because they are being told that one of them is going to die. My audience can relate to feeling vulnerable as teenagers at the age of 15 and over are about to entre the big wide world and we do feel vulnerable because at the minute we are in our own bubble but the bubble will pop at one point and everything is up to us. This could be how the girls are feeling, they were lively in a bubble and now that bubble has burst.

Lastly, I have attracted/addressed by audience in the use of fashion, hair and makeup. The girls in both scene are wearing brands such as: brandy mevelie, topshop, nike, zara and more. As the generation or age is very interested in fashion, I thought it necessary to show off the clothes that we would normally wear as the girls are of our age. Girls of the ages of 15 and over do wear make up and get their hair does because they take pride in their appearance. So my audience could find it easier to empathise with characters that are like them.


And this is how I have attracted/addressed my audience I have created an enigma code which is essential to my film narrative. This because it makes the audience want to keep watching my movie to solve the puzzle/mystery of my opening. The audience may be attracted by this because they want to understand the relationship between the two or what the of news they have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment