Tuesday 15 March 2016

Evaluation 7 - Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?

Due to the hospital confidentiality I was requested not to put any of my hospital footage online. Therefore, you can find my evaluation 7 on the external CD sent to the examination board. I have presented it on iMovie. I have filmed myself looking back at my reliquary task (the continuity editing task), and how I feel I have learnt in the progression from it to full product. I have used video clips from my opening and my preliminary task to help me answer the question. 

Thank you.

This is my script for my answer to the evaluation question. I thought it might be useful for you to have, as well as the video that I have made to answer the question.


When I began my Media Studies AS the first assignment that I was given was my preliminary task. This task was used for us to understand three different camera techniques: 180 degree rule, match on action and shot/reverse shot. We used these shots to perform a short narrative of a conversation.

I believe that from this task to my end result of my film opening I have progressed a lot! From learning different techniques, I have improved in my camera shot vocabulary.


Here is my preliminary task. 

I used match on action as Tabitha walked through the door and enters the room. There is then a pan of her walking thought the room and a match on action of her pulling her chair out then sitting down. This happens just after Lizzy looks up at the arrival of Tabitha walking through the room. I then used a shot/reverse shot when Tabitha and Lizzy are having their conversation. Whilst unsuccessful using the 180-degree rule. I shot this over the same shoulder of the girls so it looks as if they are looking in the same direction but still talking to each other, which looks wrong:   They are both looking in the same direction but they should not be.

I took note of this when we evaluated the task and made sure that I did not make the same mistake in my final piece. I used many of the same shots in my film opening as I did in my preliminary task. I also used other camera techniques that I found out about alone the way of the production of my opening. Such as: . I now know how to present mid-shots, low and high angle shots, close-ups establishing shots, tilt, pan and tracking shots, the list goes on.


My Film Opening

Here I have used match on action match on Action. The doctor is walking through the door into the room but it looks like one motion. Both shots are mid-shots that I have used a tripod to balance the camera. I have used match on action again when the doctor is telling the girls the bad news. I started off with a mid shot then I edited the sequence and brought the camera closer to the doctor. Again keeping in mind the mirror.



Both of these shots are tilts. I used these as they are commonly used in romance films. The tilt of the doctor is from his feet to his head, this can exemplify his importance. Whereas the tilt I have sued for the girls is more vulnerable. I had to be careful shooting the shot in the room as there was a mirror and I did not want to get the camera in the shot.
my new knowledge of low and high angles I now know that a high angle will make some one look small and a low angle will make some one look important. Even though I have not exaggerated the angle as much as I could have they still look vulnerable. The mise-en-scene of the room really adds to the effect and emotion of the film opening as it makes it so much more real to life.

I realised the importance of storyboarding my opening before actually filming it. Before media I thought that there were would be no need to story board because it would be all in my head. However, I even had to story board for my preliminary task because I would have forgot some shorts and then messed up my continuity. Another thing that I learnt about continuity was the importance of editing. For my match on action shots I had to make sure that the shot from outside the room was the same as inside the room. At first I found it really hard to get this however I think by the end of my film opening I have got it. Looking back as my preliminary task and comparing it to my full product I can see how much I have improved. I have realised the importance of continuity editing and how it can really make or break the flow of your movie. Also the different types of camera shots that I had no idea about before starting media. Lastly, the importance of sound quality and camera quality!


No comments:

Post a Comment